2:20 AM in the morning and I can’t fall asleep. I’ve tried. I toss and turn, but there are too many things going through my mind. For example, why do people form rash opinions without hearing both sides of a story? Surely, I know the answer, but I can’t wrap my head around narrow-minded people like that.
I love my brain, but sometimes it needs to be turned off. Questions, thoughts, ideas… they all plague my mind every night before bed. That is my insomnia. As an INTP over-thinker, this is typical for me– not being able to sleep at the same time as the rest of the world. Here are 5 tips to help you deal with insomnia when it strikes:
- This is an obvious one: do not drink caffeine after 3:00 PM, and if you do, drink plenty of water to flush it out of your system.
- Read a book, listen to music, or for those that like to meditate, do so. It relaxes the mind.
- If it’s so bad that it’s affecting your day-to- day life to the point where you can’t function, it may be time to pay your doctor a visit. There are medications you can take. Although, I would proceed with caution. They can cause rebound insomnia that’s worse than the insomnia itself.
- Get plenty of physical activity. It will help to tire you out.
- If all else fails, learn to embrace the darkness like me. My mind is more creative at night so what’s the point of fighting it?
Extra food for thought: studies have shown that insomnia is one of 10 common traits possessed by geniuses. Perhaps it’s not os abad after all.